Hey everyone! I hope you are all loving your spring as much as we are. Here in Western Canada our weather has been all over the place, by the hour. Going from rain, to hail, to bright blue skies. It's pretty bizarre! But on the nice days I find myself in the garden with the kids, getting our hands dirty, loving the smell of nature.
So you may have noticed that I've been blogging less lately and sorry to anyone who likes reading and catching up with us but I'm just so involved in planning Health & Wellness day, potty training, making desserts for people AND gardening that all my free time that I used to spend blogging is now being taken over by activities and other fun. I promise to write here as much as I can!
Over the Easter break I made this cereal and it was a total hit. I grew up hating cereal. I always found it....WAY TO DARN SUGARY! Like a total over load to the taste buds. So cereal of any kind was banned from my house. This recipe was originally supposed to be granola but with all the awesome dried fruit I decided to pour homemade almond milk over top and let it soak for 10 minutes, then eat it up. And wow was it ever delicious! Seth likes to devour things, just like Tod, but I like to savour my yummy food. Taking little bites and thinking about the textures, flavours and how totally awesome it is for us!
This cereal is so easy too. Basically I took whatever I had in the house and then just threw it all together. You can follow my ingredients or you can use your own.
I'm so happy because this cereal is the best whole foods recipe ever! Nothing comes from a can or has been processed to death. All the fruit has been dehydrated and all the grains, seeds and nuts are still in their raw form as well. Now that's beautiful food!
If you don't have a dehydrator I'm sure you can bake it. Try baking it at 275°C for 45 min to an hour on parchment paper on a large cookie sheet. Stirring once half way through. If it's not crunchy enough for you place it back in the oven for longer.
My 2 year old, my 8 year old, and my 13 year old loves this cereal! I'm so happy I created it for us!
Enjoy this cereal and feel the love from all these nourishing ingredients!
BEST BREAKFAST CEREAL EVER
Makes a lot!
- 1 cup nut or seed butter, I used sunflower seed butter today
- 3/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
Grains, dried fruit, seeds and nuts of your choice! I used:
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 3 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup dehydrated sprouted buckwheat
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup banana chips
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried pineapple
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1. Toss all the wet ingredients into a pan and turn on to the lowest heat. Mix for 2 minutes and take off heat before it gets hot.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour wet mixture over top of the dry ingredients and stir.
3. Lay paraflexx dehydrator sheets on top of the dehydrator trays and pour cereal on top. Spread out into a thin layer on as many sheets as needed. Dehydrate on 115° for 2-3 days.
4. Serve with homemade almond or coconut milk! Let your cereal soak in the milk for 10 minutes before eating. That way the flavours to into the milk and it is even more delicious!